Tuesday, January 11, 2005

And now for the problem.

There don't seem to be any recipes out there for a basic, simple, foolproof lasagne that is liked by many, freezes well, that the beginner chef can get right on the first try, and don't require a lot of expensive ingredients. Fennel is fantastic stuff, but I'll save that for the next batch.

Perhaps lasagna is such a simple and universal dish that I should just be able to assemble it based on intuition and past experiences with restaurant food.

How difficult can it be?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I made lasagne for Christmas dinner using the directions on the back of the package. Of course I can't remember what brand it was, but it was a little blue box and the noodles were no-cook. Basically it was noodles, mozzarella, ricotta, tomato sauce (we used roasted garlic), and ground beef if you're inclined to that sort of thing. If it had been only Mom and me we would have added parsley and maybe a more exotic cheese. I imagine if you just try it you'll figure out a good recipe in short order.

koalabear100 said...

My problem is I was tempted by the fresh noodles at Trader Joes, and those didn't come with a recipe for the lasagna newbie. I have a feel for what should be in there (except for the bechamel sauce, which appears in several recipes) (and it's exactly what you described), the only problems are proportions and baking temperature and duration.

Cooking for engineers. Go figure.