Monday, October 23, 2006

Question of the day.

What does it mean?

I've made two presentations in the last month, in completely different contexts, and about completely different things. One was at work, and the other was at school. I'll admit I busted my butt to pull together both. And both times, I've been tapped on the shoulder afterward by people I generally trust and told that I did a very good job. The gracious part of me accepted and is feeling pretty good about it. The cynical side of me suspects it's one of the following:

* I'm normally really quiet, and people don't expect me to present well, so a good presentation is a pleasant surprise.
* I normally ask dumb questions, so this was a pleasant surprise.
* I looked horribly nervous, so everybody was trying to console me. Or, I flubbed something important, and they were trying to console me.
* They were simply glad to hear a presentation in which good English was spoken. (Past tense notwithstanding.)
* Or, maybe I really did give good presentations, people really do look to me as a role model, and busting my butt was worthwhile.

I want to believe the last one. I think I will.

No comments: