Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Musings.

I am coveting an ice cream maker. Either that or a mandolin. The ice cream maker would be much safer. Less chance of taking a finger off.

Do I really need an ice cream maker? Couldn't I rig up something that works equally well? Here is what I am thinking:

* big metal bowl filled with ice cubes and salt
* smaller metal bowl that has been frozen overnight
* hand mixer blades frozen overnight
* sherbet/sorbet/ice cream mixture refrigerated overnight

Would this be sufficient to freeze the mixture while beating air into it? After all, with the ice cream maker, I would still need to freeze the bowl overnight. The ice cream maker would probably be more convenient (only 1 thing to freeze, no need to hold the mixer) but would also take up cabinet space when not in use. The advantages of the rig are it uses things I already own, and by proxy, it would take up less space. Also, the rig wouldn't cost me anything extra.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It might work, though you'd want a cover of some sort for the ice cream to avoid the chance of salt and ice getting in (not to mention bugs, I suppose). However, if you're going the ice-and-salt method anyway, you might as well get a $20 ice cream machine and save yourself the hassle. And the half-hour standing there holding the hand mixer.