Sunday, February 17, 2008

Avocado adoration

In all the years I've been shopping, there, I've never realized there is such thing as a Costco-sized avocado. This is mostly because I've shied away from buying five or more avocadoes at a time.

They're fantastic. Today's was gigantic, perfectly ripe with none of the weird brown streaks, and the flesh wasn't disappointingly thin close to the stone. The peel flaked off a bit, but not too badly. The flesh was buttery, savory, and a gorgeous shade of green. It didn't need the drizzle of salad dressing. Come to think of it, nearly all avocadoes and tomatoes I purchase suffer the same fate. They're eaten out of hand with a little dressing. Few ever make it to any sort of recipe.

The avocadoes are imported from Chile. I know, the planet will die as a result. However, the quality far surpassed that of the locally grown fruit. I'm all for reducing food miles, but it's disappointing to have to make such drastic tradeoffs in quality.

No comments: