Friday, February 25, 2005

Agony and the Pursuit of Truth

I have 40 minutes on Tuesday to present my progress over the last quarter. I have spent the last three days working on the slides. The trouble is, there hasn't been much progress. I have spent the quarter validating things. Slowly.

I have come to the conclusion that I am inept. These and past slides have been agonizing precisely because I have to figure out a convincing argument for something that isn't so convincing. At least, it is not convincing to me because I never seem to have enough data. My schedule always indicates that all the data will come after the presentation, which is why I am inept.

Oh sure, people try to reassure me and tell me I actually do have enough data and the argument is a wonderful one. They tell me the presentation went well and I looked like a pro up there.

Just once I would like to give a presentation where I was armed with a ton of data and prepared to chat for hours if the schedule didn't limit me to 40 minutes.

Times like these make me very glad I abandoned all hope of becoming a journalist. Digging for juicy bits on the international political scene sounded wonderful until I realized that I can't write. I certainly can't write on a deadline, which is what journalism is all about.

On the other hand, the inability to write makes for much better slides.

No comments: