Saturday, June 18, 2005

Wait a minute.

I've set a bad precedent at work. Not only do they think I know stuff, they think I know everything about machine administration. So why would this one guy (who holds a PhD and has used Linux longer than I have) come to me with the following dialogue?

Him: I can't log on to this machine with my user account.
Me: Can you ping the machine?
Him: Yes. And the root password works just fine. It's just my user account.

Duh. You log in as root and reset your password. It doesn't take a PhD to figure that out. They don't pay me nearly enough. Apparently I've gotten so good they've gotten soft.

I'll stop the ego trip now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder what they'll do when you leave for school. Silly Ph.D.s.

koalabear100 said...

Burn the lab down, no doubt. It's the next step after crashing the code base, which they did the last time I went on vacation.