Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I'll never stop saying it.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll never stop saying it.

If you're going into the sciences or engineering, learn to write.

If you're not going into the sciences or engineering, learn to do math.

I recently encountered three education PhDs who could not do any simple arithmetic in their heads. The three of them had to use a scientific calculator to do a basic currency conversion (Divide by 8. Approximate when it's not perfect. No, really.). They kept asking me to do the conversions for them. I could have told them anything and they would have believed it.

I fear for the US when even our teachers cannot divide by 8, or even approximate the result, without resorting to a calculator. I don't care if you are on vacation. That's no excuse for leaving your brain behind.

1 comment:

Z said...

Poor M. But I want your vacation pics!