Monday, December 03, 2007

Weekend Recap

* Tried two new-to-me Korean places, both fabulous. One makes its own tofu, the other has fantastic fried chicken. No more Popeye's for me. The combination of fried chicken and pickled daikon is fantastic--the vinegar cuts through the oil nicely.

* Nice surprise with the buttermilk pancakes. Turns out I really did have two cups of buttermilk left over from the Thanksgiving mashed potatoes. I prefer a runnier batter, though. The pancakes are wonderfully thick, but I prefer a thinner pancake, and one that cooks a little faster so as to make heat management a little easier.

* The cheese lasagna was blissfully easy and tasty. The most difficult part was mincing the entire pack of basil, 2/3 of which went into an ice cube tray into the freezer. The resulting lasagna was full of hot molten cheese and bubbly rich tomato sauce punctuated by fragrant basil bits.

* No bread this weekend. There wasn't enough time given the long rise required and the fact that I had a week's worth of pancakes made up already.

* No gingerbread mix, boo-hoo. Everyone else loves this mix as much as I do.

* Chinese broccoli for the first time in a quarter. It looks tough but is an exciting prospect nevertheless.

Next weekend: gingerbread and bread (hopefully). If eggplants are cheap, eggplant pasta. If not, will consider Pasta Puttanesca, assuming I locate the recipe and have the energy to mince an entire pack of parsley.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The thing about long-rise bread is you can let it rise and then forget it while you do other things. The actual effort involved in bread is minimal, no-knead even less so, except for wondering if it can actually work. At least that's my experience so far.