Monday, December 03, 2007

Post Office 5, Me 1

I don't understand how I'm supposed to buy stamps. Obviously I'm missing something.

They took out the vending machine in this building, instructing us to purchase stamps at the ATM. Like hell I'm paying the ATM stamp service fee.

To purchase online, you need a printer. Presumably you'd need special paper. I'd imagine you can have the stamps shipped to you too. Like hell I'm buying a printer, toner, and special paper, or waiting for my stamps.

The post office with the special package machine that takes credit cards normally dispenses stamps, except for when I actually want to buy stamps. In the same post office, there were two cash machines. One was out of order, the other was not accepting bills of any sort. Like hell I have $8.20 in loose change on me.

The other post office closer to my house has two cash machines and no package machine. One refused to take any bills. The other would take only my crispest bills. Or rather, bill. The first $5 went in all right, but it refused to acknowledge any subsequent bills. And it would not dispense more than $5 in change, so a $20 was out of the question. Like hell I'm buying two books of stamps, even if the machine let me (which it didn't).

I suppose I could return during operating hours. But they open after I get to work and close before they leave. The only branch that's open on Saturday is about 5 miles out of the way. Like hell I'm dashing out of work just to buy stamps.

So there you have it. The solution was to have enough cash on hand to pay for my groceries, thereby breaking the $20s into $10 or smaller, and using a $10 in the machine that only accepts one bill at a time. Because like hell it's going to accept *two* crisp $5s.

No comments: