Saturday, July 10, 2004

Great news! Our RSVP list for the event (the one requiring cake and beverages for 600, just to be clear) seems to have a number of nice people who have agreed to help transport food and beverage. We now have 7 volunteer cars plus mine. That means 6 cars can take two flats of water and a cake each, one car takes one flat of water and a cake, and my car takes 6 cakes, which will probably just fit.

While I'd like to think the spirit of volunteerism is running strong, I suspect the proportion is the same. I just got more cars because we had a pool of 500+ to work from.

Today I saw my first brush fire. I realize this is a common occurrence, but is new to someone who lives in a city nowhere near substantial vegetation. It was on 101, in the opposite direction. Well, I admit I didn't see the fire. Just smoke. It smelled like a campfire, then the fire truck came into view. I wonder if it got started by a tossed cigarrette.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear about the volunteers. :)

I saw my first brush fire when I was driving down to visit you in 2002, and I thought exactly the same thing (about the cigarette). I did see flames, though. It was on my side of the freeway (I-5), and it occurred to me just in time that I should probably roll up my window and switch lanes to avoid the worst of the smoke and the heat.