Wednesday, September 08, 2004

M the misfit

For some time now, I've been wondering how people meet compatible people of the opposite gender. Obviously I am doing something wrong.

It would be wrong to date an immediate coworker.

I'm not sure I'd want to hang out with someone I found in a bar because they'd probably enjoy bars, and I don't.

The bookstore is an expensive proposition given my weakness for the magazine rack. And I've seen many rather sketchy people at the library.

The coffeeshop isn't bad, except I have tried being wired all the time and it didn't work out.

A Magazine once suggested a pickup line that involved finding an exotic vegetable and asking the closest single how to cook it. I find this extremely creepy, and I would therefore not go out with someone who followed advice from A Magazine or hung out in supermarket produce departments.

The smoothie place is deafening. The chance of companionship is not worth my hearing.

The gym, perhaps. When I'm motivated to go. But not a sweaty freeweight hog. And not those guys who work out in front of the mirror. And not someone who leaves the machine settings on a heavy weight to try to impress the next person who uses the machine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been wondering the same thing. I find that vegetable advice creepy, too. I read somewhere that people in clubs meet other people by brushing against them and saying, "Oh, sorry," and then something like, "Nice shirt." But I don't go to clubs. I always figured the bookstore would be the best bet, but as you say, it's expensive.

James told me recently that he meets girls in a group by going up to the prettiest one and saying "Susan! I thought it was you! How've you been?" and so on. When the girl protests she's not Susan, he says, "Yeah, I know, I just wanted an excuse to talk to you." However, that takes an awful lot of self-assuredness and a fixation on looks (both of which James has in plentiful supply, of course). Perhaps we have to rely on fate--which I hate to do.

koalabear100 said...

No, approaching an attractive "Susan" doesn't sound quite right, either. If it makes any sense, I'd prefer to go out with someone I already know. But the purpose of a date is to get to know your date, so this sounds absurd. But this is getting to know someone beyond polite lunchtime conversation. Well, I admit I do discuss politics with coworkers, even, but it's getting to know beyond that.

Sigh.