Friday, August 20, 2004

How M uses the rule of 50

I don't consume books nearly as quickly as my pals J and Z do, nor do I consume them nearly as quickly as I should. But I do get through at least a half dozen worthwhile books in a year, and many more not so worthwhile ones, including rereads of various favorites. It's comforting to revisit the classics, sort of like catching a rerun of a particularly entertaining television show when you could be watching "Amish in the City" or something equally improving. At any rate, there are enough books to warrant a classification system. There are six categories of books.

1. Finished.
2. In progress.
3. Being reread.
4. Started then given up on.
5. Purchased but feel guilty about not starting yet.
6. Cookbooks.

At any given time, I generally have one book close to entering state #1, two or three books in state #2, and one or two books in state #3. I estimate there are currently four books in state #4. There is also one book in state #5. There were two, but I started "Home" as of last night. In addition, state #2 has two subcategories.

2.1. Being read during my lunch hour at work. These books must be very carefully selected so as to be intellectually engaging, quick enough to read while distracted by food, and quirky enough to impress my coworkers who inevitably wander down to join me when I've planted myself at a table outside.
2.2. Being read outside of work. Heck, I can read whatever I want in my own bed.

There are currently two books in state 2.1.

State #6 has three subdivisions.
6.1. Has at least one good recipe in it.
6.2. Has no good recipes in it, and therefore I feel guilty for acquiring it.
6.3. Haven't had the chance to try any recipes in it.

A friendly acquaintance of mine says that if a cookbook has one good recipe in it, then it's worth the price. Incidentally, no cookbook goes unread in my home, so you'll notice that state is missing. And no cookbook gets purchased unless there was an intriguing recipe in it already, so there is no cookbook with recipes that I have not or do not intend to try.

If I ever become dedicated enough to have a lot more books to classify and invoke the Rule of 50, then there should be two more categories.

7. Invoked the Rule of 50 on for justifiable reasons.
8. Invoked the Rule of 50 on, but feel guilty about it.

I'd draw you the state diagram, but that would be horribly geeky. Maybe next time.

Incidentially, I finally finished "Trading Up", which J very kindly gave me for Christmas. It's an interesting read and neatly summarizes the traits of each success story. But there seems to be a sinister undercurrent implying that the new, fresh guys always win and the old players are always too conservative for their own good. I'm sure there are plenty of examples of old players who have adapted well to the trading up phenomenon. Just give me a little time to think of a good example.

No comments: