Monday, August 23, 2004

My new theory about the missing contact lens.

I think I ingested it somehow.

This theory comes from what happened this morning. After I put the left one in, the world was clear for a few moments, then suddenly fuzzy again. Despite carefully plugging up the sink prior to installing the lens and an extensive search of counter, sink, mirror, and floor after everything got fuzzy, there was no sign of the lens. I even swept the eyeball with a finger (rather painful) and came up with nothing. So I abandoned installation of the right one, put on my glasses, and headed off to assemble breakfast.

Suddenly my left eye started stinging. Looking in the mirror, I found the contact lens, slightly askew, in said eye, and the world was suddenly clearer. (Incidentally, I took off the glasses before looking in the mirror.) This is very disturbing. Where did the lens go? Under my eyelid? Is it possible the other missing lens (it was for the right eye) was also under my eyelid and eventually got absorbed?

In light of all of this, and given the fact that contact lenses aren't as good as glasses (contact lenses don't fix astigmatism), I still prefer to wear glasses most days.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Ew. James has told me about losing his contact lenses in his eyes. Do you suppose they ever rotate so far back they come in contact with the optic nerve? I say stick with the glasses.

koalabear100 said...

Ooh, even if it never hits your optic nerve, do you think the lenses persist, like breast implants? So if you opted for burial instead of cremation, eventually all you would have in your casket is a pile of bones, two implants, and all those lost contact lenses? If it could hit your optic nerve, do you think there are medical articles written about freak contact lens incidents?

There's only one way to find out, isn't there?

Unknown said...

I bet the lenses do persist. In a thousand years people digging us up will wonder what the ritual significance the bags of silicone and the tiny flexible dishes is. I wonder what the record is for the number of lenses lost in one eye. Would they eventually just get too crowded, with your eye like an optometrist's soccer ball, and so you'd never be able to lose one again? That would be expensive, though.

koalabear100 said...

Filling up your eyeball with lost contact lenses would be no more expensive than dropping them all the time. Thanks to technology, many contacts are actually the "disposable" kind, meaning you're supposed to throw them away after a certain amount of time.

I want to clarify one thing. I don't have breast implants. I just think it would be amusing, as an archaeologist in the distant future, to unearth a casket and find breast implants. I also think it would also be amusing to watch the archaeologists try to make sense of calf implants, pacemakers, and mechanical hearts.