Sunday, August 15, 2004

I've visited quite a few optometrists in the decade or so I've worn glasses. At one point, one of them was quite honest and admitted that optometry is part science and part art. The science comes from the measurement of things like degree of astigmatism and the prescription in a current pair of lenses. The art comes from interpreting the results: even though the patient sees clearly with a range of prescriptions, which is really the best one for long-term wear? After all, 5 minutes of reading lines from the wall isn't at all indicative of how well a pair of glasses goes from car to classroom.

I say this because my prescription has been constant the past few years. (This is a blessing, since it indicates good overall health and that I've been taking good care of my eyes.) The latest optometrist downgraded my prescription, claiming I can see just as well without putting so much stress on one of my eyes.

I'm not so sure about that. It could be the contacts. I'll just have to get the glasses to be certain.

No comments: