Thursday, August 19, 2004

Revenge of the Avocadoes

I guess it's a good sign that two of my most pressing thoughts are 1) getting this work project off the ground, since this thing runs a long time before I can take a checkpoint, and 2) what to do about the avocadoes.

I purchased a bag of four organic Hass avocadoes. The cost per avocado was about $1.12 or so, making them relatively inexpensive for avocadoes around here. One of them went into last weekend's California roll. The other three should be perfectly ripe by now. Don't get me wrong. I love avocadoes. Normally they are a precious commodity, purchased on sale and one at a time, so I only have the opportunity to eat them plain or in a lovely BLTA made with vine-ripened tomatoes and Niman Ranch bacon.

Three avocadoes make for a lot of BLTAs.

Guacamole is a fine option, but a little normal. Previously frozen avocado halves from Trader Joe's freezer case would probably work fine in a guacamole.

Food Network has a recipe where you stuff something into the cavity and bake it. That sounds wrong. Avocadoes shouldn't be cooked, should they?

I don't have a blender, so avocado milkshakes are out. Incidentally, I wonder if avocado ice cream would taste any good.

Chopped salad sounds like a lot of work. It also sounds like a lot of chopped salad, which would wilt, turn brown, and not be good for lunch during the week.

I once had a recipe for a savory cheesecake. It had a water biscuit (I think) crumb crust and was garnished with avocado and smoked salmon. I no longer have the recipe. Good riddance, because that sounds like work.

Guess it's guacamole after all. Perhaps served with chips, salsa, and chicken quesadillas.

No comments: